Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My time management skills have been nonexistent the last two weeks. There's this little thing called a full time job I have that has been monopolizing my time and unfortunately, no matter how much I wish it, the time I do spend online doing my favorite things (like finding new and promising bands/musicians) doesn't pay the bills. Right about now, though, I'm beginning to think that I chose the wrong major and spent five years of my life pursuing a career that no longer holds the interest or excitement it did when I didn't know any better.

It seems I've suffering from "if you only knew then what you know now" syndrome. It's incurable and might be catching, so if you are content with your current lot in life and can't handle a healthy dose of snark, you might want to keep your distance. Misery loves company, right?

Lucky for me, and those I interface with on a daily basis, I have my music. Lots and lots of music to quell the inner storm, the perpetual existential crisis that continues to swell with each passing year, though not for a lack of trying.

My days of relatively ignorant bliss are behind me and I move forward embracing what I know, and what I don't know but wish to learn, all the while creating a running soundtrack to help get me through the days and if I'm lucky, bring a shred of perspective to keep me grounded.

So now it does truly begin. I'm currently working on a rant/review of one of my favorite new musicians that I'm having a bit of time wrapping my head around, but am determined to make happen as time permits.

In the meantime, and in lieu of a real recommendation, here's what been on heavy rotation for the last few weeks: Freelance Whales and Mumford & Sons. These days, give me a band with a bango or accordion or glockenspiel (or if you're really going for broke, a double bass) and I'm there. But more than the slightly quirky mix of instruments and respectively, a sound that is both familiar and refreshingly new, you've got a lot of heart...and soul. Two things is short order in the world at large, let alone in the music scene. So give them both a listen; you just might find something you didn't even know you were looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment